Richmond University’s MA in Language Education Leadership and Management aims to provide a high quality professional education. It has been designed to prepare candidates for a career as future leaders and senior managers in the field of language education and language services in the UK and internationally.
In the context of the Chinese language in a multilingual and multicultural environment, MA in Language Education Leadership and Management is the only MA available on the market dedicated to the training of future language provision leaders and managers with this two pronged approach which is to provide insight into language learning and teaching a well as leadership and management knowledge and skills.
The MA in Language Education Leadership and Management aims to deliver a programme that will equip candidates with the following:
- Gain understanding of the impacts that language policy and technologies have on language learning and teaching
- Equip professional language teaching skills and experience that prepare them for a rewarding future career
- Develop an enhanced awareness and practical competence in conducting applied research to solve problems encountered in teaching in today’s multilingual societies and blend of different communities
- Understand the study of language learning and teaching
- Develop of their language teaching skills and competences best suitable to the targeted learners
- Engage in applied research designed to foster innovative solutions
The programme is ideally suited to candidates who have recently completed their undergraduate studies, and aspire to be future leaders and managers in the language industry. The programme curriculum covers areas of both language learning and teaching and business leadership and management, with a built in internship to integrate theory with practice. The courses are taught and supervised by leading academics, management professionals as well as language practitioners, giving a rich learning and working experience to the students on the programme and making the programme itself distinctive and unique in its own right. The programme will lay a solid foundation enabling quick momentum in candidates to build a future career.
The Accredited Internship is an integral part of the programme. It provides an invaluable opportunity for students to deploy the knowledge and skills learned in courses in a real world setting, where students will be challenged to relate classroom situations to the workplace, make contacts valuable to their future employment prospects, and gain confidence in their capabilities, creativity and communication skills. The Internship is supervised, and students are required to reflect on what they have learned and how it is relevant to what they are doing on the internship programme. Students are assessed through a combination of regular logs, oral presentation and critical reflective writing on their experiences. In an increasingly competitive graduate careers market, internships are an invaluable opportunity that not only supplement the theoretical lessons of the programme but also provide a direct link to careers and further opportunities. The internship is conducted in the Summer months, with a minimum of 5 weeks.
Top 5 Reasons to Study MA Language Education Leadership and Management at Richmond
- An optional integrated internship and research that directly pertains to this programme and will help you better prepare for the professional sphere
- Be awarded two degrees in one: a US and UK degree certificate upon successful completion of the course that will be valuable to future employers
- Small class sizes (10 person class on average), high contact hours with professors and academic advisers
- Access to a central London location that is at the hub of International development and influence from different communities
- You will learn how to teach, communicate, and analyse under experts in the linguistics and respective language fields
Students have a wide range of employment offers, destinations and opportunities when they complete their course; from positions at the Higher Education Institutions to translator jobs at international organizations and community centres management.
We offer career support and advice through our Careers & Internships Office that will assist and guide you in your study choices to make sure you stand out from the crowd when you graduate. Through internships you will gain business acumen, beneficial work experiences and transferable skills which will give you a competitive advantage in a fast-paced working environment. Work while you study across 5 continents through our partners Connect123 and CRCC Asia with destinations in Spain, Argentina, South Africa, China, Japan, Vietnam and Australia.
A first degree in any discipline with a minimum classification of 2.2 (Lower Second Class Honours) or its international equivalent
☐ IELTS 6.5 with 5.5 in each Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing
☐ TOEFL (IBT) 87 overall with: Listening 21, Reading 22, Writing 21, Speaking 23
☐ Pearsons Academic Test of English (PTE) 62
☐ Cambridge English: Proficiency – Level C2 or Level C1