Tier 4 – Richmond University

Tier 4

The UK Home Office requires that you obtain a Tier 4 Visa if you are:
– Coming to the UK to study for more than six months; or
– Coming to the UK to study for less than six months but will be undertaking an internship or voluntary work in the UK

When should you apply for your Tier 4 Visa?
– You can begin the application process when a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number has been issued.
– You must apply for and receive your visa before you travel to the UK to start your programme.

When will your CAS number be issued?
A CAS number (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) is an electronic 14 digit reference number that you will need in order to apply for your Tier 4 visa.
Richmond will issue this number for you only when:
– Your offer is unconditional; and
– You have paid at least 50% of the course fees for the first year, or provided evidence that you have US Federal Loans to cover at least this amount (This payment is non-refundable unless your visa application is refused); and
– We have checked your financial evidence and other supporting documents (including Tuberculosis Test Certificate where applicable) to ensure they meet the Home Office requirements.

How long will the visa application process take?
The length of time it will take to apply for and receive your visa will vary depending on where you are located, but on average it will take about 3-4 weeks. As such, we recommend that you start preparing your documents and finances well in advance so that you do not run the risk of delaying the start of your programme.
Please check the current processing times on the Home Office website.

Booking Travel to start your course
We strongly recommend that you do not book any non-refundable tickets for travel until you have been approved for and obtained your Tier 4 visa.