Support for Study Abroad and Visiting Students with Additional Needs

Richmond, The American International University in London, welcomes applications from students with additional needs.

This might include a physical or sensory impairment, a medical or psychiatric condition or a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, and may require additional support or adaptations to our facilities.

Richmond endeavours to make all practical and reasonable adjustments to ensure students are able to fully participate in the University community.

What to do if I have additional needs?

If you are a student with a documented specific learning difficulty, mental health condition or physical disability you need to provide the Office of Student Affairs with the appropriate documentation concerning your additional needs at the point of admission to the University, or as soon as possible after enrolment.

For those conditions diagnosed after enrolment, declaration to Student Affairs should be made immediately upon diagnosis.

The University will make all reasonable accommodations for students with additional needs, but you should make sure you report your requirements as soon as possible so that you can begin to benefit immediately from the adjustments we will make.

In particular, if you are a student with physical disabilities, we ask that you communicate with the Office of Student Affairs as soon as you can so that the Property Services department can make any physical adjustments possible to accommodate you.

All of your information will be kept securely within the University’s student records system, which has appropriate access protocols in place.

In addition to providing us with official medical or academic practitioner documentation to validate your individual arrangements, you must complete a Students with Additional Needs Form (see below).

At the Richmond Hill Campus, the University offers accommodation with disabled access to the Main Building, Library and a limited number of student rooms. Because of the age and building restrictions of the University’s buildings modifications are limited, but the University is eager to make reasonable adjustments to buildings in order to accommodate students with mobility impairments.

At our Kensington facility for postgraduate students, there is lift access.

Registry Services, Residence Life and Property Services all work together to ensure that students with mobility impairments have the required access they need to classroom space, residential areas and study space.

For questions or concerns about the University’s students with additional needs policy, please contact Prof. Dominic Alessio, Dean of International Programmes, Allison Cole-Stutz, Dean of Student Affairs or Katherine Lytle, Student Affairs Coordinator.


Form for Students with Additional Needs