Dr Ali Aboutorabi
BSc, MSc, PhD, FImanfUK, F SmeIR
Dr Aboutorabi has extensive experience in UK higher education system, spanning over 35 years, from teaching to research and cutting-edge management. He is an expert in statistical analysis of engineering structures including nano-composites and industrial quality management systems. He is a fellow of Institute of Manufacturing of UK.
He followed his BSc degree from Sharif University in Iran with a MSc at Manchester University in the UK, and earned his PhD from Glasgow University in 1985 where he worked as a Research Assistant on statistical failure analysis of North Sea offshore structures. In the period 1985 to 1989 He worked as a Post Doc researcher at Brunel University in London leading a multi-disciplinary project on failure prevention of PE gas pipeline systems. From 1990 to 2017 he worked as a Principal Lecturer at Kingston University London.
Dr Aboutorbi is also experienced in leadership and management in Higher Education through his various roles as course director, deputy dean of faculty, director of postgraduate studies and external examiner at other British Universities. He has designed and delivered many international leadership short courses in the UK and internationally, some in association with Oxford University.
- Honorary Fellow at Kingston University London
- External examiner at Oxford Brookes University, from 2016 to date
- Design and delivery of a Workshop for Institute of Manufacturing Engineers on “Enhancing engineering education: from course design to graduate employment” at ICME International conference (October 2018)
- Design and delivery of a short course entitled “Knowledge Based companies: opportunities and risks” at 25th international conference in Engineering, (May 2017)
- Honorary Dean at Nazeer Hussain University in Karachi, Pakistan, to design and validate academic structure and quality assurance procedures (2013 – 2015)
- Design, management and delivery of residential short courses in “Leadership in Higher Education” in association with Oxford University and Leadership Foundation (2008 – 2010)
- Development of 2+1 PhD programmes for academics from Azad University Iran, in association with 6 British Universities
- Design, development and delivery of an MSc course in Engineering Management for Kuwaiti practicing engineers supported by Kuwait Engineering Society of
- External examiner for Greenwich University & MSA University in Cairo, Egypt, from 2005 to 2010
- PhD external examiner
- Aboutorabi & H. Ghasemnejad, Book chapter; Handbook of natural fibre composites: Properties, processes, failure and applications, Chapter 13, Woodhead Publishing, 2013.
- Aboutorabi, H. Ghasemnejad, H. Hadavinia; Energy Absorption of GFRP Composite Crash Box in Structures Under Shock and Impact, ISBN 13:781845641078, WIT press, 2008.
- G. H. Liaghata, M. Sadighic,, A. Aboutorabi; “Static analysis of highly anisotropic laminated beam using unified zig-zag theory subjected to mechanical and thermal loading”, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Elsevier publishing, Volume 141, June 2018, Pages 491–501
- Aboutorabi, G. Liaghat, et al; “Static Analysis of Hybrid Laminated Beam Using Unified Zig-Zag Theory Subjected to Point Loading”, Journal of Aerospace Science and Technology, Elsevier publishing, September 2017.
- Aboutorabi, G. Liaghat, et al; “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of Penetration into Kevlar Fabric Impregnated with Shear thickening fluid”, Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, May 2017.
- H Shanazari, A Aboutorabi, et al; “Analytical investigation of high-velocity impact on hybrid unidirectional/woven composite panels”, Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, Sept 2015.
- Aboutorabi, Z. Khan, Nasim A. Khan; “Extraction of Metallurgical Grade Silicon (MGS) from Raw Mineral Quartz available in Pakistan”, SYLWAN issue Vol. 158, June 2014.
- H Ahmadi, G Liaghat, A Aboutorabi; “Quasi-static and dynamic compressive properties of ceramic micro-balloon filled syntactic foam”, Journal of Composite Materials published online, May 2014.
- Aboutorabi, A. Bagherzadeh;” Cross university collaboration model for Engineering and Technology education between developed and developing countries”, World Transactions on Engineering and Technology Education, Vol.11, No.3, Nov 2013
- Liaghat, A. Aboutorabi, et al; “A Modified Analytical Model for Analysis of Perforation of Projectile into Ceramic Composite Targets”, GH, International Journal of Composite Materials 2013, 3(6B): 17-22 DOI: 10.5923/, October2013.
- Aboutorabi, H. Ghasemnejad; “Cohesive zone modelling (CZM) in prediction of transverse cracking in laminated composite structures”, Journal of Materials Science and Engineering, 5(1), ISSN 1934-8959, 2011
- Aboutorabi, H Singh; “Optimum Configuration of Compound Parabolic Concentrator (CPC) Solar Water Heater Types for Dwellings Situated in the Northern Maritime Climate”, International Journal of Ambient Energy, 31(1), pp. 47-52., 2010
- England, A. Aboutorabi; “Design of Automotive Metal and Composite Chassis Structures”, Recent Patents on Mechanical Engineering, Bentham Science, November2010
- Aboutorabi, H. Ghasemnejad; “Effect of Delamination Failure in Crashworthiness Analysis of Hybrid Composite Box Structures”, journal of Materials and Design, Elsevier, 2010
- Aboutorabi, H. Ghasemnejad, H. Hadavinia, “Analytical Approach for Progressive Failure Crushing Modes of woven FRP composite box structures”, World Journal of Engineering, ISSN 1708-5284, 2009
- Hadavinia, A. Aboutorabi, “Shear Deformation Beam Model for End Notched Flexure to Characterise Mode II Delamination Fracture Energy”, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 2009
- Ghasemnejad, A. Aboutorabi, “Energy Absorption of Thin-walled Corrugated Crash Box in Axial Crushing”, Journal of Structural Durability and Health Monitoring, Tech Science Press, 2008
- Aboutorabi, H. Hadavinia, et al; “Deriving Shear Correction Factor for Thick Laminated Plates Using the Energy Equivalence Method”, Journal of Structural Durability and Health Monitoring, 2006
- A. Aboutorabi, invited key note speaker, “New trends in Engineering education: training engineers for industries of future”, ICME 2018 International Conference, 22-24 October 2018, TMU, Iran
- Aboutorabi, “Transnational Engineering Education: A Collaboration model between UK and Greece universities”, 21st International Scientific Conference, June 2017, Burgos, Bulgaria.
- Ghasemnejad, A. Aboutorabi, “Theoretical Models to Predict Impact Response of Aircraft Composite Structures: Variable Stiffness Effects”, The 25th Annual International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, ISME2017, 2-4 May 2017, TMU, Iran
- Aboutorabi, “new approaches to design of educational spaces for effective learning”, key note speech, ICUDTS 2016, Iran, March 2016
- Aboutorabi, A. Bagherzadeh, “An Innovative Collaboration Model for PhD Studies between Universities from Iran and UK”, ASAIHL 2015, May 2015
- Fazel Larijani, A. Aboutorabi, “Development of an International University for D-8 Organisation” ASAIHL 2015, May 2015
- Aboutorabi, “Internationalisation of engineering education”, key note speech, ICUDTS 2014, Iran, March 2014
- Razmkhah, A. Aboutorabi, “Care of Elderly People: Hip Fracture Injuries”, The 19th Congress of the European Society of Biomechanics (ESB 2013), Greece, 2013
- Aboutorabi, “New developments in engineering education and research”, Proc. 3rd International Congress of Recent Advances in Engineering 2013, ICRAE2013, March 2013
- Aboutorabi, “Modern approaches to developing learning and teaching strategies”, Proc. Leadership in Higher Education, Oxford Academy for Education and Development, May 2013
- Ghasemnejad, A. Aboutorabi, “Advanced application of natural fibres in high performance automotive composite structures”, The 19th International Conference on COMPOSITES/NANO ENGINEERING (ICCE-19), Shanghai, China, 2011
- Aboutorabi, H. Ghasemnejad, “Cohesive zone modelling (CZM) of Mode-I & Mode-II interlaminar crack propagation in laminated composite structures”, The 8th International Conference on COMPOSITES/NANO ENGINEERING (ICCE -18), Alaska, USA, 2010
- Ghasemnejad, A. Aboutorabi, “Theoretical Prediction of Mean Crushing Force in Progressive Failure of Woven FRP Composite Box Structures”, The 8th International Conference on COMPOSITES/NANO ENGINEERING (ICCE-17), Hawaii, USA, 2009
- Aboutorabi, H. Ghasemnejad, “Study on energy absorption of GFRP composite crash box”, 10th International Conference on Structures Under Shock and Impact, Portugal, 2008
- Aboutorabi, et al, “Determination of Mode II Fracture Toughness in Delamination of Angle-Ply Composite Beams”, International Conference of Mechanical Engineering, London, UK, 2007
- Aboutorabi, H. Hadavinia, “Calculation of Energy Release Rate in Mode I Delamination of Angle Ply Laminated Composites”, The 14th ICCES Conference, Miami, USA, 2007
- Aboutorabi, “Benchmarking and Output Standards in Engineering Education”, Higher Education Seminar, Emirate Aviation College, Dubai, April 2005
- A. Aboutorabi, Michelle Morgan, “Joint and dual degree partnership between British and overseas universities: Convergence of QA models”, for AZU Dubai, June 2018
- A. Aboutorabi, T. Mir, N. Golzari, “Quality assurance structure for NHU compatible with QAA and Higher Education Commission of Pakistan”, Jan 2015
- A. Aboutorabi & H. Moghaddam, “Academic Structure of an international university for D8 Islamic countries”, June 2014
- A. Aboutorabi &H. Moghaddam, “towards 2020: Internationalisation strategy for Islamic Azad University of Iran”, February 2014
- A. Aboutorabi & J. Askari “Engineering courses towards development of a sustainable energy supply in Pakistan”, NH University executive board, August 2013
- A. Aboutorabi & P. Mason, “Quality assurance proposal for a new on-line university in Oman”, 2013.