Brexit questions for EU students

Fees for EU Students

What’s the situation at the moment?

If you are an EU citizen and have been resident in the EEA for the last three years then you are eligible for ‘home fee status’, which means you will be charged the same tuition fees as UK students.

EU nationals have access to loans and grants from the UK government to help cover their fees. See here for details. University Scholarships are also available at Richmond for the 2019 start date

What’s going to change with Brexit?

So far, nothing has changed. The UK Government has confirmed that fees and loans will stay the same for EU students who begin their degrees in the academic years 2018-19 or 2019-20, and that nothing will change for them throughout their full degree. Beyond that, we don’t know yet what will or won’t change – that is something to be agreed between the EU and UK at a later date.

VISAs and Immigration

Will I have to apply for a visa?

As long as the UK and EU negotiations end in an agreement you will not need a visa if you are arriving before 1 January 2021. If you arrive between 30 March 2019 and 31 December 2020, you’ll need to register, but you will still not need a visa.

Will I be able to stay in the UK after my degree?

If you arrive in the UK before January 2021, you should be able to apply to stay in the UK for the five years it takes to build up settled status. Once you have settled status, you’ll be able to remain here indefinitely. If you think you might want to stay, you should visit the UK government’s pages on immigration for EU nationals.

From January 2021, we don’t know exactly what the process will be, but as with all other universities and students in the UK, at Richmond we are working to keep the system as simple as possible.

For more information: British Council website Short videos: