BA Degree in International Sports Management is a unique undergraduate programme that will enable you to fully develop your soccer potential as you earn an American-accredited degree.
In addition to graduating with a BA in International Sports Management , you will also gain a FA Level 1 Certificate in Coaching Football. The programme is offered at the University’s Richmond Campus with the Richmond International Academic and Soccer Academy (RIASA) with the athletic and coaching component located at the Bank of England Sports Centre.
You will play in a top quality soccer academy with professional coaching and playing opportunities and be taken through a rigorous football training and playing schedule, with coaching focusing not only on your technique, speed and tactics on the field but on your nutrition and health. Alongside the practical side of the programme, you will examine the theory and practice surrounding the management and the business of sports in various parts of the world, and gain the vital business skills required for a successful career in sports management.
☐ A Level: 96 UCAS points
☐ US High School Diploma (or equivalent): 2.5 GPA minimum (on 4.0 scale)
☐ International Baccalaureate: 24 IB points (year 1) BTEC National Diploma: MMM.
☐ Completion of Year 12-13 International equivalent secondary school qualification with a minimum grade average of grade of C including mathematics and English
☐ IELTS 5.5 with 5.5 in each Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing
☐ TOEFL (IBT) 80+ overall with: Listening 17, Reading 18, Writing 17, Speaking 20
☐ Pearson Academic Test of English (PTE) 51
☐ Overall Cambridge English Scale score of no less than 168 in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking
- The programme is ideally suited to candidates who have an active interest in soccer who are seeking building a career in football, coaching and in the sports industry.
- An opportunity to show your pitch skills in league games
- Immerse yourself in a true soccer culture as you play in showcase games against professional youth Academy/Reserve teams and potentially even play in the UK and European leagues.
- Opportunities for exit trails to clubs in Norway, Sweden, Finland, Slovenia & Latvia
- Coached by professional UEFA A Licence coaches
- You can pursue UEFA coaching courses that will lead to a licensed UEFA coaching qualification recognised as one of the best in the world
- If you are thinking about a professional career in coaching, you will also be able to pursue further awards through The FA and UEFA via the West Riding County FA
- Specialise your academic studies in an area of particular interest such as sport marketing, healthy lifestyles, sport event management and coaching
- An integrated internship in a Sports Management setting and football career development advice
- Access to the Chartered Management Institute’s (CMI) resource portals, ManagementDirect and employment opportunities database for the duration of their studies.
- US accreditation through the Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- Located in London at Richmond International Academic and Soccer Academy (RIASA) football training facilities
Key areas of study
- The academic business focus of BA International Sports Management will allow you to explore the central role and functions of sports management alongside a rigorous football training schedule and a coaching qualification
- Provide comprehensive and critical grounding in business management principles, allowing you to apply this practical and realistic sport and leisure settings.
- Present you with an opportunity to put theory in to practice through your selected project/dissertation and internships all of which will be supervised by your personal programme tutor
- Personal Development through enhancing your managerial, organisation skills and your professional sports/and or sports business career
Richmond’s offers all students a comprehensive choice of cores (mandatory) and elective (optional) courses within the liberal arts degree structure.
Football Training and Coaching
Football training and coaching sessions with FA and UEFA qualified coaching staff four times a week (2 hours per training session) in modern, state of the art training facilities with a minimum of one scheduled League match each week
Year 1 Core Course Requirements
Foundations of Business
Functions and Applications
Sport and Society
Research and Writing I
Year 2 Core Course Requirements
Introduction to Microeconomics
Introduction to Sports Psychology
Computer Applications in Management
Calculus with Applications
Probability & Statistics I
Research and Writing II
Upper Level Course Core Course Requirements (Year 3 and 4)
Legal and Ethical Concepts in Management
Principles of Marketing
Exercise Nutrition and Lifestyle Management
Sports Events Planning and Promotion
Sport in Documentary Film
Year 4 Core Courses
Senior Project in Business
Talent Identification: Principles and Practice
Team and Leadership Dynamics in Sport and Coaching
Plus three of the following OR Internship and one of the following
PR and Self-Presentation in the Media
Foreign Trade Policy
World Internship in Sport Management (6 CREDITS)
Internship in Sport Management (6 CREDITS)
Competition and Strategy
Marketing Planning and Strategy
Policy Making in the Globalized World
How to Apply
Once you have been accepted on the Soccer programmme www.riasasoccer.org, you can apply directly to Richmond using the Common Application. In order to submit a complete application you will need the following information.
- Apply to the Soccer Programme on RIASA website
- One accepted by RIASA complete Common Application Form
- Details of your education history, including the dates of all exams/assessments
- The email address of your referee who we can request a reference from, or alternatively an electronic copy of your academic reference
- A personal statement – this can either be uploaded as a Word Document or PDF, or completed online
- An electronic copy of your in-process or completed transcript or high school certificate
- An athletic-soccer training video
- Physical Evaluation Form
When to apply
We encourage you to complete your application as early as possible even if you are completing your undergraduate programme of study.
Admission is determined by your academic qualification (your achievement in high school or secondary school), your athletic review, which consists of an attendance at one of the RIASA on the Road Events or evaluation of your submitted athletic training video and your completed physical evaluation form.