Frequently Asked Questions

Student Life

What clubs and organizations do you have?

Being a small institution, there is a real opportunity to become a leader of a club and develop leadership skills. There are clubs in a variety of areas - academic, social, political, cultural and religious. Every semester, a Freshers Fair is held at the Richmond campus for students to learn more about student clubs and organizations. If you don't find a club that suits your particular interest, start your own!

Student Life

How much do I need for personal expenses?

This depends on your personal life style. Most students try to keep at a budget of about £50 per week. Here are some rough prices for the London area:

Value Meal from McDonald's: £4
CD: £15
Can of soda: £0.70
Average textbook per course: £30
Cinema ticket: £5 - £8, depending on the time of day
Restaurant dinner: £17 for 1 entree and drink
One day Travelcard on the Tube for zones 1-4: £8
Shampoo: £3

Student Life

Do I need to open a bank account? How would I do this?

Even if you plan to access money from home, it's best to have a local bank account. Many banks will charge a fee to use a bank card outside the home network and having a British account will avoid those charges. Parents who want to send money can do so via bank transfer.

The Richmond Student Affairs office will issue a letter of introduction that the bank will require. Ask at the Student Affairs office during Orientation.

The Hill Campus has an ATM machine. As it is operated by a third party there is a handling charge of £1.50 per transaction.

Student Life

How/where do I change money?

Banks, local travel agents, American Express can all change money for you. There is also an on-line service at or It's best if you arrive in England with about £300 in Sterling for expenses during the first few weeks. What you don't spend can be used to open your new British bank account. Should you need more money, you can use your home ATM card in a pinch.

For additional security each University room has a small - standard laptop capable - personal safe for your convenience.

Student Life

Do I need a student visa?

Most students from countries outside the EU or British Commonwealth will need a student visa (sometimes referred to as 'entry clearance') to study in England. We strongly advise that you consult your nearest British Embassy or consulate for procedures and apply early to Richmond so that there will be enough time to organize your visa well in advance of your start date. You can visit for additional information.

Student Life

What is the transition process like for transfer students?

Transfer students fit in very naturally at Richmond. They participate in orientation along with other new students and have orientation sessions designed specifically for them. Transfer credits are evaluated in advance of registration so that advisers can easily coordinate a student's previous curriculum with Richmond requirements.

Student Life

What is the weather like in London?

The weather in London is about as diverse as the Richmond student body! You can expect several seasons in one day. Typically, fall is very mild with temperatures ranging from 7°C (45°F) to 14°C (57°F) and lasting from mid-September until mid-November. Winter can be quite chilly; 3°C (37°F) to 6°C (43°F). You can also plan on plenty of rain; 76mm (3.5in) to 79mm (3.75in) per month between mid-November and early February. Spring again is mild, with less rain and temperatures warming up starting in mid-March; 6°C (43°F) to 11°C (52°F). Summer weather generally doesn’t start until mid-June and extremely warm days (above 22°C or 72°F) are rare. The average temperature is 14°C (57°F) to 16°C (63°F).

Some Useful Links:

Student Life

What do students do for fun off campus?

A large part of the social scene happens at pubs and clubs. Jogging, cycling and recreational sports in Richmond Park are popular options as is visiting the museums and sights in London. With more than 12 million residents in the capital city the off campus options are endless. For more on what to do around town go to

For those interested in shopping, Kingston-upon-Thames is a 20 minutes ride away on the 371 bus (download 371 schedule). Following its early beginnings as a Market Town boasting a Royal Charter, Kingston's transformation over the past 20 years has been rapid. It is now internationally renowned for it's extensive range of shops and services, and as such is well justified with the title of premier retail centre within the South East of England. Kingston Town still boasts the best preserved Medieval Street plan in Greater London.

Student Life

How far is it to downtown London?

The Richmond Hill campus, where freshmen and sophomores live and study, is about 7 miles or 35 minutes by Tube. The Kensington campus, where juniors and seniors live and study, is right in the heart of central London.

For travel in and around London please visit Transport For London at

Student Life

What sports and athletics do you offer?

The Richmond Hill campus has a multi-purpose outdoor court for tennis, basketball, volleyball and mini-soccer. A well-equipped Fitness Center is available in the Main Building, basement level (open 0600 - 2400 last entry 2300, daily). A cardio studio is available for University sponsored recreational classes on the ground level of the "Main Building".

In addition, for a monthly fee, Cedars Health and Leisure Club is located directly behind the Richmond Hill campus and features a full health and leisure facility including a swimming pool.

Richmond Park, the largest urban park in Europe, is a 2,500-acre recreational area less than a five-minute walk from the Hill campus. The Park (in the past a Royal hunting ground for Kings) offers students recreational and competitive sports for every interest and no entry fee. The Student Government Association has purchased bicycles that can be used free of charge for cycling in the Park – and elsewhere.

In Kensington, students may use the athletic facilities of nearby Imperial College for a modest fee. Additional information is available at: Imperial has an indoor swimming pool, a squash court, a gym as well as sauna and Jacuzzi facilities. Look to this site for on-going details of what is being offered from term to term.

In terms of sports off campus, London offers fantastic opportunities for students either as spectators or to participate in an endless array of sport and recreational activities. For a full calendar of what is happening in greater London check out BBC Sport London and for details on Richmond Park go to:

London has a full range of football (soccer) teams including Premier League clubs such as Arsenal and the local club Chelsea.

If rugby is your sport, Twickenham, the home of international rugby in England, is only two miles from the campus

Wimbledon, home of the famous tennis championship is also nearby ( and the famous boat race between Oxford and Cambridge Universities takes place on the Thames just down-river from Richmond ( The River at Richmond also offers sailing, boarding and rowing. ( For those of you who do not usually follow England's summer game, explains the rules and tells you all you need to know about Cricket.

And to keep up to date with whatever sport you follow, check out

Student Life

Do I need a car?

Public transportation in London is wonderful and having a car can be more of an aggravation than an advantage and neither campus allows student parking.

Full-time students qualify for a 30% discount on Tubes, trains and buses. A discount card application is available at any Tube station. Just bring it to Student Affairs for verification, send it in, and let the savings begin! For more information on London's famous Underground ('The Tube), go to

Student Life

Do I need a cell/mobile phone?

For your own convenience, we recommend that you get a mobile (cell) phone. It's cheapest to buy it in the UK because that's where you'll be making most of your calls. The easiest way for students new to the UK to get a phone is to use a 'pay as you go' plan. You purchase the phone (£30 - £300), select a service provider and then buy top-up vouchers that allow you to add credit to your phone. As your phone runs out of credit, you buy a top up voucher, enter the voucher number into the phone, and it's ready to go again. These vouchers are available practically everywhere - news agents, book stores, grocery stores. Richmond's Student Affairs staff and Orientation Leaders can provide advice on finding the best deal when you come. The Student Government Association also operates a second-hand phone market selling the phones of graduating students.

Student Life

What should I bring with me?

Expect four seasons but also pack light. It does not get extremely hot or extremely cold in England but you will definitely need warm sweaters (wool is best), a raincoat (preferably with a hood), and an umbrella small enough to fit in your bag.

Do bring a few mementos from home like a small stuffed animal and family pictures but keep them to a minimum. You can always exchange clothes or pick up extra things when you go home for the first time.

Student Life

How often do students go home to visit?

Students usually go home at the end of the fall semester in December and at the end of the academic year in May, if they aren't staying for Summer School. During fall and spring breaks, many students choose to travel - either with our Richmond-organized tours or independently.

Student Life

Should I buy a laptop at home or wait until I get to the UK?

A laptop is not required at Richmond. We do have wireless access in the residence hall areas that can be accessed by laptops but if you prefer, you can use the desktop computers available in Richmond's computer labs.

However, if you do want a laptop, keep the following things in mind: the power source in England is 240v. Make sure your laptop is adaptable to this power source. Secondly, the published price in the UK may have the same number value but you will need to watch the exchange rate with your home currency when you buy something. For example, the cost of the laptop in England may read £1,700. The cost of the same laptop in the US may read $1,700. The number is the same but the value of the currency is different.

From the Spring 2004 semester each University room will have a small - but standard laptop capable - personal safe per bed space.


Is living on campus mandatory?

In our experience it eases your transition to life at Richmond and helps you establish a wide network of friends. For this reason we require all first year students to live on campus. Exceptions to this policy will only be made for a student whose permanent address is within the M25 ring road.


Can I ship some boxes ahead of time?

Storage space at Richmond is extremely limited. In some cases, shipping ahead of time may be possible but you must contact the Residence Life Coordinator at before arranging shipment. The best advice is to bring what you can fit in your luggage and carry by yourself and plan to have any extra things shipped after you arrive if you really do need them.


Will I have a roommate?

You can request a single room but keep in mind that there is an additional charge. Rooms are allocated by deposit date so if a single is important to you, it is wise to deposit early. Of course, if you prefer a shared room that option is available. You will have a chance to state your preferences on your Housing Form when you deposit.


When will I find out my rooming assignment?

For degree students, generally, room assignments are made by early July for the fall semester and by early December for the spring semester. If you put your e-mail address on your housing application, Residence Life will contact you with your room assignment and roommate information. Because of the rolling nature of our visiting student application process, visitors will find out their room assignment upon arrival.


Do I have to live at the Richmond Hill campus my first year? Can I commute from Kensington?

Generally, new students live at The Hill. Housing in Kensington is reserved for students with 60+ credits. You can request a place at Kensington if you would like. If there is space available after upper division students are housed, you may live in Kensington, but you will have to pay your own commuting expenses.


What is the housing like: dorms, apartments, quads?

Housing varies in style and type of accommodation. Both campuses have a main dormitory building with singles, doubles and triples. These buildings have shared bathrooms and long corridors of student rooms. Satellite residences tend to be more like flats or apartments with smaller groups sharing bathrooms, and sometimes kitchens, within a unit of 3 to 4 bedrooms.


I can't decide whether off-campus or on-campus housing is the right choice for me. Who can I talk to about this?

Any member of Student Affairs can talk you through the benefits of each. Please contact Student Affairs to discuss this with someone who can help you decide what is best for you.


What's included in my housing fee?

Gas, electricity, water, Internet, TV in common rooms. Please note that individual TV license costs are not included. If you have a TV in your room, UK law requires you to purchase your own TV licence. You can do so here: . Students are also encouraged to purchase their own contents insurance particularly if you are bringing expensive electronic equipment.


Is there Internet access in the rooms?

There is wireless Internet access in the rooms of the main building. Some satellite residences have Internet access. Contact your campus Residence Life Coordinator for details on what is available in each building.


What's included in the rooms?

Your allocation will include the following: single bed, bed linens, pillows, duvet, desk, desk chair, desk lamp, wardrobe with hangers/dresser, nightstand, rubbish bin. You will want to bring/buy your own towels and toiletries. Our self-catering buildings can provide much more, such as dishes, cutlery and other cookware. For details on what's included in your self-catering building, please contact Tracy Wills in Kensington or Stephen White on the Richmond Hill campus.


Are there social activities in the halls?

Yes! Members of our residence life team live in every hall on campus and organise social activities throughout the semester. To see the current members of our residence life team, click on our student staff profiles page. Please also feel free to suggest any activities to your RA or RD or use our feedback form on the Portal if you are a current student.


Does the university provide any cleaning services?

Rooms are cleaned upon request, but at a maximum of once per week. Contact Stephen White in Richmond or Tracy Wills in Kensington to find out how to log a request. For details on rubbish removal and linens in your specific building, please refer to your campus's residence life manual.


What can I do if my room or furniture needs repair?

For all requests and questions concerning residence hall maintenance, please fill out a Maintenance Request Form. Maintenance emergencies like water leaks, electrical faults, problems with locks or anything else posing a threat to physical safety should be addressed directly through the security department, not through the online maintenance form.


How can I communicate pre-existing room damages when I move in?

We keep online inventory forms for students to report any pre-existing damage in their new room. For access to these online inventories, please click here.


What is/isn't allowed in campus housing?

From overnight visitor procedures and quiet hours to pets and other restricted items, you'll find all guidelines in our campus-specific Residence Life manuals. These can be found on our Policies and Procedures page on the web.


Is campus security provided?

Yes. Richmond operates 24-hour security coverage based in Atlantic House in Kensington (020 7368 8500) and in the Main Building in Richmond (020 8332 8230).


Can I stay on campus over Christmas/summer break?

The University is officially closed over the Christmas/New Year holidays. Stays of a few days to co-ordinate with flights home can be accommodated but there is a small nightly charge. For longer stays there is cheap student accommodation available in London over the breaks--check with Residence Life ( for Richmond Hill or in Kensington) for information about this. You may choose to stay on campus at The Hill over the summer if there is space available. There is a small nightly fee for this.


Am I allowed to swap rooms?

Generally we discourage room swapping, and swapping will not be possible during the first two weeks of the semester. If space is available, we may consider this after the initial two weeks, but it must be authorised by the Residence Life Coordinator.


Is there storage on campus?

Unfortunately, there is no student storage on campus due to lack of space. Student Affairs can help you locate area companies who can store your things at a reasonable rate. Many of these companies will also pick up and deliver. The Richmond housing contract requires a two-semester commitment (fall and spring). If you begin with us in the fall semester you don't need to worry about storage between semesters, as you can leave your things in your room. The University does not provide storage options during the summer months.


Am I eligible for subsidised travel between campuses?

To see if you are eligible, please refer to our Inter-campus Travel Scheme page on the website.


Can I still use the dining hall if I live off campus or in a self-catering residence hall?

Yes. You may pay cash in the dining hall or add money to your ID card to purchase items from the dining hall or from our Starbucks cafes. To add money to your ID card, please visit the finance office in Richmond or the Student Affairs office in Kensington.


I have a disability that may affect my housing allocation. How should I communicate this to you?

Please indicate on your student housing request form how we can meet your needs while you while you are living with us. Alternatively, you may contact us directly. Please contact Tracy Wills in Kensington or Stephen White on the Richmond Hill campus.


I'm an MA student and am unsure of what I will be doing in the summer for housing during my internship. Can you help?

Yes. Please contact Tracy Wills to discuss MA summer housing options.


Is parking available at any of the residence halls?

Parking is not available at any of the residence halls. However you may look into registering for a street parking permit through the borough. Generally proof of residency is required in order to apply for a parking permit, and we can help provide you with this document.


Am I eligible to live in Kensington?

Due to limited space on the Kensington campus, only students meeting the following criteria can be allocated housing in Kensington: Richmond MA students, Richmond students who have earned at least 60 credits, Richmond students who have all or most of their classes on the Kensington campus, AIFS London visiting students, transfer students who have spent at least one semester on the Hill campus. Even in these cases it is not possible to guarantee housing on the Kensington campus. Places are allocated on a first come first served basis. Room allocation is decided by the housing office and whereas they will always try to accommodate students' wishes they reserve the right to allocate student rooms based on availability, and their decision is final. Please note that the Residence Life Coordinators on each campus keep up-to-date wait lists for campus allocations, so please feel free to contact them about this option.


Where can I find the move-in and move-out dates for the year?

All residency opening and closing dates are listed on the Richmond's academic calendar. Other important dates such as add-drop periods are listed on this calendar.


What happens if I want to move in before the move in date?

We cannot accommodate students before the move in date. If you are in need of a place to stay before move-in date, please see our hostels and short stay hostels information under our Accommodation webpage for local options.


What happens if I want to stay after the move-out date?

If students need a few more days of accommodation after move-out, it may be possible to grant an extended stay. Authorisation must be arranged with your Residence Life Coordinator. You must have this approved at least two weeks before the move-out.


What happens if I want to move out early/withdraw from housing?

Students who decide to leave early will forfeit their housing deposits. There will also be no refund of fees already paid to the University. For all terms and conditions of the housing contract, please see the question below.


Where can I find the terms and conditions of the campus housing contract?

Please contact Tracy Wills or Stepehn White for a copy of the most recent housing contract.


How do I request housing on campus?

Please visit our Requesting University Housing page for instructions on how to request housing. All fees information is located at the bottom of the page. For new students with further questions, please contact Admissions at For continuing students with further questions, please contact Residence Life Coordinator Tracy Wills or Stephen White.


How can I pay for housing?

Please contact our finance office at to pay for your housing deposit and fees. For information on current housing rates, please click here.


How can I get my housing deposit back after moving out?

Approximately 2-3 weeks after move-out, students should request their deposit to be returned by emailing . Housing deposits will be returned to the account from which it was originally paid, minus any university damages incurred from the semester.

Undergraduate Admissions

What are your admissions requirements?

Applicants must have a high school/secondary school diploma or equivalent with a minimum of grade point average of C+ (2.5 out of 4.0 in the American grading system). Qualifications gained under other educational systems will be assessed for equivalency to the C+/2.5 American system standard.

Other factors such as the letter of reference, personal statement, results of standardized examinations and participation in extracurricular activities are also considered in the application process. Students holding advanced qualifications (e.g., A-Levels, French Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement Examinations) may be given credit toward completion of degrees after review by the Dean of Academic Affairs. Typically, such students are granted exemption from some first-year courses.

The Admissions Office has details of entry requirements for all countries and will be pleased to supply further information. If you live outside the US, please contact us at For those in the States, please write to:

Undergraduate Admissions

Do you give AP, IB and other Advanced Standing Credit?

Transfer of Prior Academic Credit and Credit for Advanced Standing Students entering Richmond with ‘advanced’ qualifications, i.e. national secondary education credentials that are acceptable for entry to British universities, as determined by NARIC (The National Academic Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom), may be awarded course credit toward completion of their degree, after review by the Academic Registry. This includes qualifications such as UK A-Levels; the International Baccalaureate; Advanced Placement Examinations; the French Baccalauréat and the German Abitur. The exact credit awarded depends upon examination grades and subjects studied. Credit for Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations is determined with regard to the guidelines outlined by the College Board and credit is awarded for grades of 3, 4, or 5. Six to eight credits are awarded, depending on subject area, for examinations covering two semesters of US university-level work; three to four credits are awarded for examinations covering one semester. No credit is awarded for grades of 1 or 2. International Baccalaureat advanced placement awards are generally determined by the relevant guidelines outlined by the International Baccalaureate Organization. Six credits are awarded for grades of 4–7 in Higher Level IB subject examinations; three credits are awarded for grades of 4–7 on Subsidiary Level IB subject examinations. No credit is awarded for grades of less than 4. Credit for United Kingdom Advanced Subsidiary (AS) and Advanced Level qualifications is determined by the evaluation of syllabi in the same way as for AP and IB exams. Because students study fewer subjects at A-level, and to a greater depth, than at IB and other European secondary school leaving qualifications, a greater number of credits is ordinarily awarded per subject, depending on the grades achieved. Nine credits are awarded per A-level completed at grades A-C and six credits per A-level completed at grades D or E. AS levels must be completed with grades of C or higher to transfer. The maximum number of credits awarded for advanced qualifications is 30 US / 120 UK credits, which normally represents one academic year of study. This limit is set because advanced qualifications are specifically equivalent to first-year study, allowing students to receive up to one year’s worth of academic credit. For this reason, only Richmond courses at 3000-level are considered for advanced credit awards. The qualifications must have been completed before a student enrols at Richmond, and successful completion of these qualifications may have formed part of the student’s offer of admission. Course equivalency charts for the advanced qualifications most frequently transferred into Richmond are available on the University website. Dual-enrolment credits are equally considered for advanced credit, according to the University’s regular transfer credit policies. Applicants should inform their admissions officers that they have completed dual-enrolment credits as part of the application process.

Undergraduate Admissions

Do I have to take placement tests at Richmond?

All new students at Richmond take placement tests in English and math. This is to help us place you in the most appropriate curriculum. At Richmond, we want you to succeed academically and the placement tests help us give you the tools to do that.

Students who have been awarded transfer credit in English Composition and Math may be exempt from the appropriate test, at the discretion of the Dean of Academic Affairs.

Undergraduate Admissions

What English test scores does the University accept?

English Language Proficiency Requirements (for students not from a majority English-speaking country)**: - All students (with the exception of students whose first language is English) must submit either IELTS or Pearson Academic Test of English results when applying for admission. The University no longer accepts TOEFL scores. - To meet the entrance requirements for university study, applicants must achieve a designated level of English language proficiency (Level B2 as of November 2012). This is equivalent to the following scores: IELTS – a score of at least 5.5 in each element Pearson Academic Test of English – a score of at least 51 in each element - IELTS results must be current within two years at the time of application.

Undergraduate Admissions

Do you accept credit from the CLEP exam?

CLEP (College Level Examination Program) Policy Credit for CLEP examinations taken prior to enrolment at any university is generally awarded according to the relevant guidelines issued by the College Board.. Note that Richmond does not offer CLEP examinations. Scores of 50 or higher are required, and six US /24 UK credits are awarded for examinations covering two semesters of university-level work. Three US /12 UK credits are awarded for examinations covering one semester. Several of the CLEP examinations, especially those in Composition and Literature, have optional essays. If the essay part of the examination has not been taken, credit will be contingent on the student’s performance on Richmond’s English Language Placement Assessment.

Undergraduate Admissions

What does 'liberal arts' mean?

A general education curriculum is at the heart of a liberal arts education. At Richmond, we help you gain a broad understanding of the world by studying math, science, literature, sociology, and other broad-based subjects before and while you do coursework in your major. You will organize and synthesize information from a variety of subject areas and focus on intercultural issues. The liberal arts curriculum, called the Richmond Core, is designed to give you the tools and the flexibility of thought necessary for any situation in today’s global economy.

Undergraduate Admissions

Where are your faculty members from?

Richmond's faculty represent numerous backgrounds and countries. To see profiles, click here.

Undergraduate Admissions

How do you rank/rate compared to other schools?

Since Richmond is located outside the U.S, we are excluded from the college rating system. We are also excluded from the British league tables, because we are a US institution. However, if we were included in these rankings - using the established ranking criteria - we would be ranked in the top tier of private international universities.

Richmond graduates have gone on to study: in the UK, at London School of Economics, University of Oxford, University of Durham, SOAS, Imperial College, Goldsmiths College, Exeter, Hull and Kent. In the U.S., our graduates have entered Columbia School of Law, Harvard University, John Hopkins, MIT, New York University, Northwestern (The Kellogg School of Business), Thunderbird-The American Graduate School of International Management, Yale, Tufts, and UCLA.

Undergraduate Admissions

What are the most popular majors?

While the academic program emphasizes a liberal arts core with 11 academic majors, the most frequently selected majors include international relations, business, economics, finance, communications, politics, psychology and history.

Undergraduate Admissions

What are you 'known' for?

Richmond offers many distinctions that place the University in the forefront of global higher education. We are a private, independent, American university accredited both in the U.S.A. by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and, in the United Kingdom, validated by the Open University Validation System. Approximately 1,000 students are enrolled representing more than 100 countries throughout the world.

Undergraduate Admissions

Does Richmond accept visiting students?

Yes. Richmond has a semester or year-abroad program for students from overseas colleges and universities who wish to study in London. University students studying in the USA and wishing to study abroad must apply via American Institute of Foreign Study at Visiting students from other countries should apply directly to Richmond through our London office at

Undergraduate Admissions

Are there any high school course requirements for admission?

In the United States, students must meet the college preparatory requirements of their particular state. A student should have a minimum grade point average of 2.5/4.0 to be considered; most Richmond applicants have higher GPAs.

For students educated in other systems, you must meet the standard for university entry in your home country from a school approved by an appropriate governmental body, such as the Ministry of Education. Richmond will assess your credentials for equivalency to the US grade point average system.

Undergraduate Admissions

Can I study in another country while a student at Richmond?

Yes. Richmond offers a one- or two-semester study-abroad program in Florence and Rome. In addition, you can take up to one year and study at another institution of your choice with an approved leave of absence from the Dean of Academic Affairs.

Undergraduate Admissions

Do you offer summer classes for high school students?

No, Richmond does not at present offer high school students Summer School study options.

Undergraduate Admissions

Where do Richmond students come from?

15% - Europe (outside UK)

18% - Middle East

13% - Asia

15% - Africa

30% - North America

6% - UK

3% - South America


Undergraduate Admissions

Do you offer distance learning?

Because interaction between students themselves and with their professors is a key feature of the Richmond experience, we do not offer distance learning.

Undergraduate Admissions

Can I double major at Richmond?

Yes, but you must work closely with your academic advisor to do so. Because Richmond's curriculum is demanding, you may need to spend more than the traditional eight semesters at Richmond in order to complete a double major.

Undergraduate Admissions

Can I major in a language or linguistics?

No, Richmond offers Itialian classes on the Florence and Rome Campus. However, most Richmond students arrive on campus already fluent in several languages so the opportunity for daily conversational practice is constant. Richmond's own library stocks more than 50 publications from around the world. In addition, there is a wealth of foreign language material available in London - newspapers from all over the globe arrive at the local news stands daily.

Undergraduate Admissions

Is there a music program at Richmond?

Richmond offers interdisciplinary, non-performing classes in music. Students interested in performing can get together to jam or take advantage of the abundant opportunities in London such as visiting the Royal Albert Hall or Wembley Stadium for concerts.

Undergraduate Admissions

Can I talk to current Richmond students and/or alumni?

Yes! Current Richmond students would love to hear from you. Our Student Ambassadors will email you and answer all your questions about what's it like to be amongst our Richmond family. Visit Meet Richmond Students or for more information on alumni and to reach an alum contact in your area.

Undergraduate Admissions

What is your application deadline?

• 1 March for Fall Semester
• 1 April for Summer Sessions
• 1 November for Spring Semester
• Late applications will be considered, provided there is space available.

Undergraduate Admissions

Do you have an Application Fee Waiver?

A non-refundable £50 application fee is required of all new applicants. We do not have an Application Fee Waiver form, however if you feel you have special circumstances that warrant a waiver of this fee, you may contact the Admissions Office directly at for those outside the US or for those who live in the US.

Undergraduate Admissions

I have sent in an application. When can I expect to hear a decision on my admissions?

If your application is incomplete, you will receive a request for further documents within two to four days.

Complete applications that include all the supplementary documents will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review. You should have a final answer within three to four weeks from the time your application is complete. We will try to contact you by phone and email with an answer and we will follow up by sending a decision letter in writing.

Undergraduate Admissions

Do you accept transfer credit from other universities?

Richmond welcomes transfer students and we award transfer credit for classes with grades of C or higher. Transfer credit is granted only for academic courses taken at accredited American colleges or universities, or at institutions of higher education in other countries that are recognized by the appropriate governmental bodies in those countries. Only credit is transferred; grades and grade point averages from other institutions do not transfer.

Up to 75 credits may be transferred towards the Richmond BA or BS degree. At most, 60 credits may be transferred from two-year colleges where only lower division courses are offered. Regardless of the transfer credit awarded, transfer students must complete all Richmond proficiency, general education, and major requirements that are not covered by equivalent transfer credit.

All transfer students are required to complete a minimum of 54 upper division credits (18 courses), of which at least 45 credits (15 courses) must be taken at Richmond. At least 36 upper division credits must be taken at Richmond in the student's major.

Undergraduate Admissions

Would other universities accept my Richmond credits if I transferred?

Yes. Richmond is fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools in the U.S. Course work completed at Richmond is transferable to institutions that recognize the American educational system. However, be sure to check with the institution you are transferring to as each school has its own transfer policy and possible restrictions.

Undergraduate Admissions

Do you have an association with any other colleges?

Apart of Richmonds ethos is to provide our students with the opportunity to study abroad for a semester. Many of our students study at the Florence and Rome campuses or with one of our partner colleges/universities. Visit this page for a list of our partners. We have agreements and partnerships with several universities and colleges for the acceptance of transfer credit for incoming transfer students. Please contact the Admissions Office for further information at

Undergraduate Admissions

Do you accept dual enrollment credits?

Yes, provided that the credits are obtained through an accredited university. You must submit an official college transcript in order to receive credit.


What is the average class size?

The average class size is 17.


How many students attend?

Approximately 1000 students attend Richmond.


What is the student/teacher ratio?

The student to teacher ratio is 19/1.


Are there teaching assistants?

All Richmond classes are taught by professors. In the small, intimate atmosphere of the Richmond classroom, you will know your teachers and they will know you. If you need help, all you have to do is ask.


When do I register for classes?

During orientation, after you meet with your Faculty Adviser.


Do I need to submit a portfolio the art program?

Richmond will evaluate your application for admission based on the quality of your transcript, your personal statement, teacher recommendation and other supporting documents. A portfolio is not necessary but we are happy to see a small sample of slides of your work, if you wish to submit them. This can be useful when you are in contact with our art faculty. If a sample of your work is made available to them, they can comment intelligently when emailing or speaking with you on the phone.


How many classes do students take each day?

Daily schedules differ depending on the student's timetable. Students usually take 5 subjects per semester (15 HOURS PER WEEK) and each class usually meets two or three times per week.


What does a one year graduate program entail?

A one-year MA is standard in British universities, so we follow that model. This does result in a more demanding load than in US MAs. You can expect to be required to read around 2-3 books and 10-15 articles per week, and write around 9,000 words per course in each semester. The thesis of 15-20,000 words is no shorter than in US or British universities.


How many class hours do students take each week?

You will take 15 class hours per week.


Are there any alumni from my area?

Richmond has alumni living in 114 different countries. You can learn more about our alumni here. You are also welcome to email the Alumni Relations office at


Where do Richmond graduates work?

Richmond alumni are employed in many different companies and organizations all over the world, including the following:
• Abu Dhabi Drilling Chemicals & Products Ltd.
• Al Hayat, Pan Arab newspaper
• American Airlines
• ArabTec Satellite & Interactive Systems
• Astra International Corporation
• Bell Language School
• Brazilian Embassy
• British Airways
• CBS News
• Christies Auction House
• Citibank
• Deutsche Bank
• Emirates Airlines
• European Bank for Reconstruction & Development
• The European Commission
• International Trade Institute
• Johns Hopkins University
• JP Morgan
• Kings College, London
• Middle East Broadcasting
• Monster.Com
• Morgan Stanley
• Nabisco
• Price Waterhouse Cooper
• Procter & Gamble
• Radisson Edwardian Hotels
• Richmond the American International University in London
• Standard & Poors
• S & P Mergers
• UK Government
• United Nations
• World Bank


Where do Richmond graduates go to graduate school?

Richmond’s alumni pursue postgraduate school all over the world. Below is a sampling from the class of 2001.

Baylor University Law School

City University Business School

Goldsmith's College - University of London

American Intercontinental University

Harvard University-Kennedy School

Cornell University

King's College

George Washington University

Liverpool University

Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris

London School of Economics

International House, Language Education

Melbourne University

McGill University

MIT Sloan School

Monterey Institute of International Studies

Moscow University

Pace University

New York University

St John's University - School of Law

Nottingham University

University of Alabama

St Anthony's College, Oxford University

University of Bristol

School of Oriental and African Studies

University of Pennsylvania


What is the food like?

The catering staff at Richmond meets the tremendous challenge of providing three meals a day to the diverse palates of students from over 100 countries. In addition to a hot entrée, there is always a vegetarian option, a salad bar, a sandwich bar, a stir-fry area and ice cream. In addition to the cafeteria, there is a sleek, new coffee/snack bar where students can buy espresso, gourmet sandwiches and pastries.

The staff is eager to meet the needs of the students and is open to menu suggestions and requests. If you’re missing your mother’s favourite dish, just contact the catering staff and provide a recipe.


How many meals are on the meal plan?

The Housing contract includes a meal plan which entitles you to 18 meals per week - breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday - Friday, brunch on Saturdays and brunch and dinner on Sundays.


Do I have to be on the meal plan if I live on campus?

We recommend that you participate in the meal plan and the cost is included with your accommodation fees. The majority of Richmond's residence facilities do not have kitchens. However, there are a few, on the Hill Campus, that do although these are reserved for sophomores and above.


Do you serve vegetarian food? Vegan? Halal?

The Catering staff offers a variety of meal choices every day so as to accommodate as many students as possible. Vegetarian choices are always available. Whenever possible, vegan choices such as soy milk are offered. Students needing halal meat often choose the vegetarian options.

Money and Financial Assistance

Are scholarships available?

Yes. The university provides a number of scholarships. A student may also apply for private scholarships from outside sources.

Money and Financial Assistance

Can I use Tuition Exchange?

Richmond welcomes students who are sons and daughters of university employees. For 2009-2010 Richmond will not be accepting additional students through tuition exchange.

Money and Financial Assistance

What is the cost of tuition, room and board?

For information on Richmond fees, please
click here.

Money and Financial Assistance

How do I qualify to be considered for a scholarship?

Scholarships are awarded to undergraduate students at the time of admission and are based upon the relative academic promise of the applicant. Students need not request consideration for scholarship award. However, preferential consideration will be given to those students who submit a completed application within the annual deadline which is the 15th of March for the Fall Semester and November 15 for the Spring Semester.

Money and Financial Assistance

Can I earn money by working a part-time job alongside my studies?

MA students often take up on-campus work when it is available. Some students do undertake part-time work with galleries and museums while studying the MA, but not all. We do not encourage students to undertake too much work outside the MA since this may negatively affect the challenging academic side of the program. Some students choose to stay in London while writing the thesis in the summer. With more time available, some students undertake gallery work then and some have stayed on into the Fall and worked full-time.

First Year Seminar

What is a First Year Seminar?

First year Seminars are 4 credit courses for students new to Richmond. Students choose one of these seminars from the posted list. Although the seminars focus on a different subject, they have a common component designed to help new students make a successful transition to academic life in an international university - in London.

First Year Seminar

Is the first year Seminar mandatory?

Yes, if you are a new student to Richmond you will be required to take one of the seminars. It satisfies the Level One "Common Course" requirement in Richmond's "Core Curriculum."

First Year Seminar

What if I have transfer credits - will I still have to take one of the First Year Seminars?

Yes, most new students will have to take one of the FYS. A few students with appropriate transfer credits may be exempted, but you will be notified if that is the case. When in doubt, register for one of them.

First Year Seminar

Can I take more than one seminar?

No. The rest of your schedule will be filled by other courses that you will select during orientation.

First Year Seminar

Will I get my first choice?

We will make every effort to get you into your first choice seminar. However, they will fill up, so the earlier you register with us the better the chance you'll have to get into the seminar of your choice.

First Year Seminar

Who will be my academic adviser?

For most new students, the academic adviser will be the one who teaches you in your First Year Seminar. For some students with quite a lot of transfer credits, a specialized adviser related to your major will be assigned to help you. But for most new students, the great faculty teaching you in your FYS will also be your adviser during your first year at Richmond.

First Year Seminar

Do I have to take a seminar that is related to my Major?

No. Choose one that interests you. The FYS are designed to be "multidisciplinary" and not fit into one specific major. They do not satisfy courses for any major but are part of the liberal arts tradition in education and feed into the "Core Curriculum." Choose the seminars that are most interesting to you.

Postgraduate Programmes

What are the admissions requirements for the Postgraduate programmes?

Please visit the Postgraduate Admissions section of our website for the full details regarding admissions and and how to apply. Should you have any additional questions with regards to your application please contact the Admissions Office.

Postgraduate Programmes

When is the admissions deadline?

The postgraduate programmes begin each academic year in September. The priority application deadline is 31 May for the following September class. Applications received after this date will be considered on an availability basis.

Postgraduate Programmes

What if my undergraduate degree is in a different academic area?

In general, applicants must have successfully completed a bachelors degree with a major related to the discipline. All applications will be evaluated individually and students without the requisite undergraduate major may be required to complete up to four undergraduate courses at Richmond before acceptance into the Postgraduate programme can be granted.

Postgraduate Programmes

Do I need to have previously studied in English?

Not necessarily. However, the language of instruction at Richmond is English. Non-native English speakers are asked to provide IELTS or Cambridge English language examination results as proof of their fluency in written and spoken English.

Postgraduate Programmes

Do you require the GRE test?

We do not require the GRE as part of the application. However, if a student has taken the test and would like to submit their results as part of their application, they can do so. We will then consider the results along with the rest of the application when making a decision.

Postgraduate Programmes

Where do postgraduate students live?

Student housing for graduate students and upper division undergraduate students at Richmond is located in the Kensington area of West London. The campus is contained within 5 buildings, all within a 10-minute walk of each other. Kensington is a highly desirable residential area excellent for shopping and equipped with restaurants, parks and nightlife. Courtfield Gardens is the primary residence for upper division students and is home to almost 80 Richmond students, both undergraduate and postgraduate. The building is located across Cromwell Road, just a 5 minute walk from the Earl's Court tube station and a 15 minute walk from Atlantic House. Courtfield offers self contained flats of 1 to 2 students with newly refurbished kitchens and ensuite bathrooms. Wireless internet, a common room with satellite TV, live-in staff and programming throughout the term are all a part of the package at Courtfield.

Postgraduate Programmes

How much would it cost?

Tuition fees for the Postgraduate programmes can be found here. Tuition fees, books, a laptop computer (required), and living costs are the main items you will need to take into account in estimating the total cost of your Postgradaute programme.

Postgraduate Programmes

Is there any financial aid or scholarships for Postgraduate students?

Postgraduate students fund their studies from a variety of sources such as Graduate Assistantships, loans, grants, and personal resources. Richmond also offers a limited number of scholarships available to top students, find out more. If you are a U.S. citizens or a U.S. green card holder, you may qualify for Stafford loans. To apply you must complete the Free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may complete this form online at In the U.S. you can also call 1-8004FED AID to request a form. The U.S. Department of Education number for Richmond, The American International University in London is G10594. U.S. citizens with a U.S. resident co-signer may also apply for the Private Signature Loan administered by SallieMae. See

Postgraduate Programmes

Do you hold open evenings for Postgraduate students?

Yes, we do host Open Evenings. In April and November of every year. To find out about our next Open Evening, visit us here.

Postgraduate Programmes

When do classes start/end?

The Postgraduate Calendar and Timetable are available on the website at: Postgraduate Academic Calendar

Postgraduate Programmes

Does the university have a work placement/internship programme?

Yes, fundamental to the Postgraduate programmes is the internship programme. Each Master’s programme has been developed with an accredited internship. The University will assist the candidate to find a suitable internship relating to their field of study. The internship is completed during the summer months, and forms the backbone of the research that the candidate is doing for their thesis/dissertation. For more information on internships, visit us here.

Postgraduate Programmes

I am looking for part-time work? Do I have to organise it myself?

Candidates often take on part-time work, as their visas allow. Candidates looking for work will need to apply for work themselves. The Careers Office, often has jobs and placements available to students.

Postgraduate Programmes

When am I going to register for my classes?

You will automatically be registered for your classes at the Orientation Day and once fees are paid.

Postgraduate Programmes

What is the class work load per week?

The average contact time for the Postgraduate programmes are as follows: 3 contact hours per class and 4 classes per week. However, this can vary depending on programme and its requirements.

Postgraduate Programmes

When am I going to register for my classes?

Registration can be completed for the Fall semester prior to arrival as all students take a set number of defined courses. Optional courses that run in the spring will be chosen upon arrival in September.

Postgraduate Programmes

What Postgraduate Programmes does Richmond offer?

We offer a variety of postgraduate programmes in the Arts, Business and International Relations and Conflict Studies. For a full list of our programmes visit us here: Postgraduate Programmes

Postgraduate Programmes

What is the Graduate Certificate in Art History?

The Graduate Certificate in Art History and Visual Culture is awarded to students registered on the MA who have successfully completed in good academic standing (with a 3.0 GPA / B average / Pass) for all coursework components but: 1) fail to submit the thesis ( without extenuating circumstances eligible for resubmission), or 2) fail to pass the thesis. The Certificate is therefore conferrable as an exit award in recognition of successful completion of graduate coursework, but it is not possible for students to register on the Graduate Certificate.

Destinations: After Richmond

Where do Richmond students work?

Richmond graduates are working in some of the leading organisations across the globe. Many are involved in entrepreneurial work or family businesses. Our students work in a number of industries from NGO's, governments, banking, finance and media. Here is a short list of companies that they work for: ABN Amro, Accenture, ACE Global Markets, Aon Insurance UK, Apex Communications, Cayman Island Government Office, UK Parliament, Bytes Software Services LTD, Barclays Bank, Barclays Capital, Bloomberg L.P., Citigroup, Deloitte & Touche, Ernst & Young, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, E! Entertainment TV, British American Tobacco, Gabriel Research and Management Ltd, Goldman Sachs, International Bar Association, J.P. Morgan, KPMG, UBS, HSBC, London Stock Exchange, Merrill Lynch, Peace Child International, Peace Corps, United Nations, The October Gallery.

Destinations: After Richmond

Where do Richmond students go for postgraduate study?

Richmond students have an incredible track record of entering in to graduate programmes that are highly recognised throughout the world. Here is a list of just a few of the top institutions that they have attended. UK Graduate Programs London School of Economics (LSE), University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, University College London (UCL), King's College London, London Metropolitan University, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), York University, Birkbeck College - University of London, University of Warwick, University of Westminster, Goldsmiths College -University of London USA Graduate Programs Harvard, UCLA, Yale, University of Washington - Law School, University of Georgia, Brooklyn Law School, Columbia School of Law, MIT, Northwestern (The Kellogg School of Business)

QAA Quality Mark thumbnail'


2014/2015 prospectus



Official Facebook page Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Twitter
YouTube channel YouTube channel

Featured Alumni

Andreea Iancu
Andreea Iancu,

BA International Relations

'I am especially indebted to the Internship Office who placed me in two great internships, experiences which subsequently assisted me in my MA studies and went on to provide the impetus for my future career.'

More about Andreea

View all

To View PDF files you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Get Acrobat